FROM THE EDITOR'S DESK
General Survey Results
We asked nearly 2,000 professionals from across the industry about their experience with facility operations, staffing, programming, building and much more. Here, we summarize the results from all facility types.
From Cost to Coast, and Everywhere in Between
In this section, we consider trends in recreation, fitness and sports facilities from a regional perspective. Learn which region is expecting the most growth in usage of its facilities, and which is planning more synthetic fields than the others.
Urban Centers, Suburban Growth and Rural Recreation
With urban facilities offering more indoor options, rural communities providing more outdoor options, and suburban communities offering a little bit of everything, itís easy to see that trends in managed recreation differ from town to town, and city to city.
Building Active, Involved Communities
Parks and recreation departments build our communities, connecting people of all ages, ethnicities and backgrounds with opportunities for recreation, leisure, fitness, education and much more. Read on to learn more about what trends are having the greatest impact on these facilities.
One industry expert likened the increasing number of outstanding recreation facilities on college campuses to an arms race. We take a look at major trends affecting campus recreation and tap industry experts for their interpretation of the top issues reported in our survey.
Back to School
At schools across the country, recess and physical education are being sacrificed, and the ever-growing problem of childhood obesity is becoming a growing concern. This section of the report explores the trends in sports, recreation and fitness among schools.
With the prevalence of obesity increasing at an alarming rate, we turn to YMCAs, health clubs and other fitness-related facilities to provide lifetime solutions to getting more active. Here, we consider some of the major trends in these facilities, including major differences between nonprofit YMCAs and for-profit health clubs.
Recent Industry News
- Rose Center to Advise Grand Rapids on Development Incentives to Advance Community Goals
- Heads Up Tackling Program Decreases Concussion Rates, Researchers Say
- New Book Aims to Make Communities Healthy
- Millions of Volunteers Take Action to Clean, Restore and Renew
- IAAPA Economic Impact Study: Attractions Generate $3.6 Billion in Latin America
- American Red Cross, Counsilman-Hunsaker to Partner on Aquatic Management Program
- City Parks Alliance, Toro Announce Winners of Urban Park Innovation Award
- Off the Scale Partners With ACSM to Scale Chronic Disease Intervention Care
- ASLA Plan Provides Top U.S. Infrastructure Recommendations
- Spotlight Shines on Tennis Visionaries
- Americans Support Pre-Tax Fitness Expense Payment Option, Survey Finds
- Texas A&M University Honored With PGMS Accreditation
- National Park Service, Boy Scouts Partnership Merits Attention
- ASBA Announces Pickleball Courts Manual
- Report Shows Wellness Options Are Key to Senior Living Satisfaction
- Study: Private Schools Offer Fewer Athletic Training Services
- Keep America Beautiful Partners to Boost Recycling in Flint Schools
- PHIT Introduced in Congress
- NRPA Awards Grant Funding for New Nature Discovery Program
- NSPF Releases Advanced Service Technician Certification