Level Up Your Park With Pokémon Go
By Karen Zgonc
Being the software geeks that we are, REC1 hasn't stopped talking about Pokémon Go since the app was released on July 6. Not only are we Pokémon trainers, but we are developers and marketers, and after countless hours catching Rattata and Spearow, we've also discovered some great ways your park can use Pokémon Go.
- Share photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram catching the Pokémon in your park. Playing the game is a great way to relate to parkgoers and give your organization exposure.
- Take advantage of the Pokéstops at your local landmarks with a Lure Module. These stops are invaluable to players to replenish their stock. You can place a Lure Module to bring new Pokémon to your Pokéstop. Hand out some coupons or host an event planting more Lure Modules to attract more Trainers. The Pokéstops refresh regularly (about every 5 minutes), so it's easy to keep Trainers at your stop because of the benefits it provides.
- Hatch eggs. Some eggs require 2km, 5km or 10km to hatch. Advertise your trail or upcoming race as the perfect way to hatch these eggs.
- Pick a Team and offer those on your team a discount. Have a gym in your park? Take advantage. Have your staff join the same team to defend it and challenge parkgoers to take it over.
- Set up sidewalk features. Provide trainers with free water, a bench to sit at or shady spots to rest, or a place to recharge their phone, and support them on their hunt,
Have fun and take advantage of the Pokémon Go craze!
Karen Zgonc is Director of Marketing for REC1, an industry leader in online recreation software based in the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta, Ga. Visit www.rec1.com to learn more.