ORR Highlights 2022 Recreation Industry Wins in Third Annual Report
2022 was an incredible year for the record-breaking $862 billion outdoor recreation industry. Outdoor Recreation Roundtable (ORR) facilitated the cross-sector collaboration that allowed for huge industry wins while continuing to boost and provide support for local economies and working to ensure that all Americans can access the great outdoors. ORR’s 2022 Annual Report outlines how the organization and its members provided breakthrough innovation, secured increased funding and helped make critical infrastructure reform at a time when more and more Americans are seeking out the myriad benefits that come from spending time outside.
Highlights of the year include:
- Supporting the Biden Administration’s revival of the Federal Interagency Council on Outdoor Recreation (FICOR) so that federal land and water management agencies can work together to address important recreation issues around funding, overcrowding, climate resiliency, and more;
- Partnering with Congressional leaders to champion a package of outdoor recreation legislation that received bipartisan and unanimous support in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee;
- Securing millions of dollars in funding for rural communities through grants from the Economic Development Administration;
- Coordinating the release of new outdoor recreation economic data from the Department of Commerce showing the outdoor recreation sector had its best year ever in 2021;
- Introducing new resources for organizations working for greater inclusivity in the outdoors like the Together Outdoors Resource Hub;
- Hosting a first-of-its kind industry summit on electrification and next gen technology in outdoor recreation; as well as
- Launching Workforce Career modules to support employers and employees, welcoming new members, and state offices from all across the country to the coalition, and much more.
As for 2023 and beyond, “The ORR team is enthusiastic about building out the next important growth phase of the organization with emphasis on industry thought leadership and convenings, ensuring recognition of the recreation economy, and policy developments at all levels that support a healthy business environment and recreation economy for the benefit of all Americans. This next year will be critically important for both our organization and the recreation economy at large and we are excited to dig into another year of dedication to our amazing members and the lands and waters that serve as the backbone of our strong sector,” – Jessica Turner, ORR President.