Sports Field Management Association Announces 2023 Board of Directors
Sports Field Management Association (SFMA) – the non-profit, professional association comprised of 2,700 men and women professionals overseeing sports fields worldwide and critical to athletes’ safety – recently confirmed its 2023 Board of Directors.
Sun Roesslein, Certified Sports Field Manager (CSFM), was elected President and will serve a two-year term. She currently serves as the Sports Stadium Manager at the North Area Athletic Complex (NAAC), Jeffco Schools (Golden, Colo.), a position she has held for 17 years.
“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve as President and look forward to working closely with this dedicated group of individuals as we continue to spread awareness of the sports field management industry and its positive impact on communities nationwide,” says Roesslein. “Our initiatives in 2023 are focused on elevating the fantastic work of SFMA members, promoting the sports field management profession to the next generation and working to diversify the organization to reflect the population of the United States.”
Other 2023 officers include:
- Immediate Past President – James Bergdoll, CSFM, CPRP
- President-Elect – Nick McKenna, CSFM, Assistant Athletic Field Manager, Texas A&M University (College Station, Tex.)
- Vice President - Commercial – Paula Sliefert, Senior Manager - Commercial Business, The Toro Company (Bloomington, Minn.)
- Secretary / Treasurer – Adam Thoms, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Commercial Turfgrass, Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa)
- Academic Director – Chase Straw, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Turfgrass Management and Physiology, Texas A&M University (College Station, Tex.)
- Appointed Director At-Large – Zachary Holm, CSFM, Turf Care Manager, Central Park Conservancy (New York, N.Y.)
- Commercial Director – Erin Boyd Wilder, Executive Director of Business & Professional Development, Sod Solutions (Tallahassee, Fla.)
- Elected Director At-Large – Ryan DeMay, CSFM, Owner/Principal, Field Source Consulting (Columbus, Ohio)
- Higher Education Director – Jason DeMink, CSFM, Sports Turf Specialist, University of Michigan Athletic Dept. (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
- Parks & Recreation Director – Jason Bowers, CSFM, Sports Turf Supervisor, Cabin John Regional Athletic Area (Montgomery County, Md.)
- Professional Facilities Director – Alpha Jones, CSFM, Director of Field Operations, Fayetteville Woodpeckers (Fayetteville, N.C.)
- Schools K-12 Director – Jeremy Driscoll, CSFM, Grounds Supervisor, St. Mark’s High School (Wilmington, Del.)
The Sports Field Management Association conducts its annual elections electronically in late November and the Board officially takes office during the Conference & Exhibition each January. Next year’s conference will be held in Daytona Beach, Fla., January 22-25, 2024. The following year’s conference will be held in Palm Springs, Calif. in 2025.
The organization also recently announced the appointment of Laura Simmons, CAE, as CEO, a role where she will lead the association's growth initiatives and execute its strategic plan.
For more information, visit SportsFieldManagement.org.