IHRSA 2023 Convention & Trade Show Wraps
Health and fitness industry professionals turned out in force for the IHRSA 2023 Convention & Trade Show in San Diego March 20-22. An impressive 8,500 participants from 82 countries connected with more than 330 exhibitors at the industry’s leading sales, networking, and educational event.
IHRSA President & CEO Liz Clark delivered a President’s Address to kick off the event on Monday, March 20, as she celebrated industry recovery and shared the vision for the future. Event highlights included keynotes from:
- Robyn Benincasa, adventure racer, San Diego Firefighter, and New York Times Best-selling Author, sponsored by ABC Fitness Solutions,
- Rob O’Neill, former U.S. Navy SEAL, New York Times Best-selling Author, sponsored by Keiser Corporation, and
- Cassandra Worthy, founder & CEO of Change Enthusiasm Global, author, and consultant, sponsored by Matrix Fitness.
IHRSA 2023 showcased over 150 speakers guiding in-depth education on topics such as finance and operations, diversity, equity, and inclusion, business marketing and leadership skills, and the state of the industry’s economy. Meetings and networking were crucial at the event as IHRSA and federation partners from Latin America, Europe, and Canada held forums and special gatherings. In addition, the Global Health & Fitness Alliance—IHRSA’s international advocacy arm—and the National Health & Fitness Alliance—IHRSA’s U.S.-based advocacy arm—held various events and meetings.
The vision for a Strategic Advisory Council became a reality at IHRSA 2023 as over a dozen leading executives from major brands met with Liz and discussed the association’s future vision and tasks.
Liz said this was the year of redemption for the industry because, after a long wait, the industry had reunited and come back together to forge new connections, build new alliances, transact business, and help the industry grow to the next level of success. She noted that the industry is committed to promoting exercise and physical activity because it benefits mental and physical health.
Helping to unite the industry, IHRSA partnered with Boutique Fitness Solutions who hosted a special event for boutique and studio owners—BFS @ IHRSA—on March 23.
IHRSA also recognized industry leaders who have broken down barriers and set a new standard for industry success with a variety of awards:
- Greg Oliver, CEO & Managing Director of Fitness & Lifestyle Group, received the Global Leader Award in Honor of John Holsinger,
- Gale Landers, CEO of Fitness Formula Clubs, received the Advocate of the Year Award, and
- Carol Nalevanko, President of DMB Sports Clubs, received the Woman Leader Award in Honor of Julie Main.
All in all, three dozen media representatives covered the event for a variety of media channels—and we’re still seeing positive coverage each day. However, we couldn’t have pulled off IHRSA 2023 without the support of our sponsors. IHRSA gratefully acknowledges the 50 event sponsors that made IHRSA 2023 a reality!