Urban Land Institute Names Finalists for Awards for Excellence
The Urban Land Institute (ULI) announced 20 finalists for the 2023 ULI Americas Awards for Excellence, one of the most prestigious awards programs in the real estate industry. This year’s finalists include 19 developments in the United States and one in Canada. Three additional projects from the United States received special mentions.
“We had the privilege of selecting this year’s finalists from an incredible group of submissions,” said Benedict Tranel, principal at Gensler in San Francisco and chair of the 2023 ULI Americas Awards for Excellence jury. “Those awarded represent a diverse breadth of projects – in scale, type, and complexity – that display extraordinary alignment to the award criteria and ULI’s mission. We’re proud to recognize them as leaders who exemplify how the built environment can adapt to our rapidly-changing urban landscape.”
The 2023 ULI Americas Awards for Excellence finalists are as follows:
- Aegis Living Lake Union – Seattle, Wash., USA
- Ascent MKE – Milwaukee, Wis., USA
- Aurora Bridge Bioswales – Seattle, Wash., USA
- Cambridge Crossing (CX) – Cambridge, Mass., USA
- Digital Foundry at New Kensington – New Kensington, Pa., USA
- Ezabelle Apartments – San Diego, Calif., USA
- First Americans Museum – Oklahoma City, Okla., USA
- Google Bay View Campus – Silicon Valley, Calif., USA
- Granary Campus – Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- HomeRise at Mission Bay – San Francisco, Calif., USA
- Hudson Commons – New York, N.Y., USA
- Ironworks – Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
- King Open/Cambridge Street Upper Schools & Community Complex – Cambridge, Mass., USA
- Lincoln Common – Chicago, Ill., USA
- Little Island – New York, N.Y., USA
- Living Watershed – Seattle, Wash., USA
- RIDC Mill 19 – Pittsburgh, Pa., USA
- Tower Grove Park – East Stream Restoration – St. Louis, Mo., USA
- University of California Merced, Master Architect 2020 – Merced, Calif., USA
- Water Street Tampa – Tampa, Fla., USA
- Bok – Philadelphia, Pa., USA
- Microsoft Thermal Energy Center – Redmond, Wash., USA
- The Podium – Spokane, Wash., USA
The ULI Americas Awards for Excellence program evaluates projects across a number of factors, including achievements in marketplace acceptance, design, planning, technology, amenities, economic impact, management, community engagement, innovation, and sustainability. The program is open to projects in the ULI Americas region that are substantially complete, financially viable, and in operation.
ULI Americas Awards for Excellence finalists were selected by a multidisciplinary jury of ULI members, including experts in development, finance, planning, urban design, architecture, and landscape architecture. In addition to Tranel, the 2023 jury includes Nathalie Beauvais, climate resiliency lead/architecture & planning, HDR, Inc., Boston, Mass.; Andy Bush, founder and managing partner, Morgan Creek Ventures, Boulder, CO.; Michael Cochran, managing director, Eastdil Secured, New York, N.Y.; Andrew Garrett, senior principal, real estate, IMCO, Toronto, Ontario; Lucia Garsys, senior advisor for community partnerships, Hillsborough County Government, Tampa, Fla.; Nicole Horst, principal partner, landscape architect, Wenk Associates, Inc. Denver, CO.; Vicki Mullins, executive vice president, finance, Brookfield Properties Development, Dallas, Texas; Kimberly Pexton, senior vice president, sustainability, JBG SMITH Properties, Bethesda, Md.; Darrell Thomas, managing principal, Strategic Realty Partners, Atlanta, Ga.; Danielle Tillman, managing principal, bKL Architecture, Chicago, Ill.; Douglas Voigt, partner, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, Chicago, Ill.; and Matt Williams, principal, landscape architect, O2 Planning and Design, Inc., Calgary, Alberta.
The Awards for Excellence program, established in 1979 and subsequently expanded globally, is the centerpiece of ULI’s efforts to identify and promote best practices in all types of real estate development. For more information about the ULI Americas Awards for Excellence, visit uli.org/aae. For more information about the ULI Global Awards for Excellence, visit uli.org/gae.