Sports Field Management Association Announces 2023 Founders Award Winners
The Sports Field Management Association (SFMA) – a non-profit, professional association for the nearly 2,500 men and women who manage sports fields worldwide – has named recipients of the 2023 Founders Awards, recognizing four members who have made significant contributions to SFMA and to the profession.
The association’s highest honor, the Founders Awards, are named after the four SFMA founders who were not only pioneers and innovators but left a lasting impact on the industry. The 2023 honorees are:
- Bill Marbet, Line to Line LLC – Dick Ericson Award
- Kristen Althouse, Pennsylvania Turfgrass Council – Dr. William H. Daniel Award
- Dr. Drew Miller of the Brentsville School District Turfgrass Management Program – George Toma Golden Rake Award
- David Pinsonneault, CSFM, CPRP, CPWP-M, Lexington Department of Public Works – Harry C. Gill Founders Award
“We are proud to announce the remarkable recipients of the 2023 Founders Awards,” says Laura Simmons, SFMA CEO. “These individuals embody excellence in our field and demonstrate a dedication to our profession worthy of the esteemed founders after whom these awards are named. Their outstanding contributions inspire our association and its members, enriching us with their passion, professionalism, and unwavering commitment.”
Winners were honored during the 2024 SFMA Conference & Exhibition that took place in Daytona Beach, FL. from January 22 through 25. For more information on the conference, please visit: https://www.sportsfieldmanagement.org/conference.
Additional information on each award:
- Dick Ericson Award – recognizes a member who effectively manages sports fields and their facility and exhibits the qualities of a true team leader. See a list of current and previous winners.
- Dr. William H. Daniel Award – recognizes an individual who has made significant contributions to the industry through research, teaching or extension outreach. See a list of current and previous winners.
- George Toma Golden Rake Award – validates the ‘and then some’ attitude of a sports field member in “on the job” activities and in community service. See a list of current and previous winners.
- Harry C. Gill Founders Award – established to honor an individual for their hard work in the sports field industry and to acknowledge their dedication to STMA. See a list of current and previous winners.